Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Karen's examples of convergence



I have 4.5 examples of convergence I'd like to share in this post. In terms of which one I'll present, I'm willing to take suggestions in the comments area!

Graffiti in public spaces and time-lapse animation. "MUTO" is a short film (watch it on Vimeo) of graffiti creatures growing and crawling around public spaces in Buenos Aires. I don't know the details of how it was created but would image that it is from video stills or many individual snapshots pieced together with added sound effects. It must have taken a lot of time in the physical world with the actual drawing of the graffiti as well as editing.

Phone, speech recognition, voice-to-text transcription, email, text messages and more. Jott (www.jott.com) allows callers to dial into a toll free number and record voice messages that are transcribed into text emails and/or text messages which can then be sent to your own email inbox or passed along to other friends. I have limited experience with using this to capture my "notes to self" but Jott appears to be consistently adding new features such as reminders and to-do lists. Try it out for yourself!

Flickr photos as a database for viewing photos in an interactive and 3D way. One example of this is Tag Galaxy (www.taggalaxy.de) which is a Flash based website that allows you to enter a tag and see other related tags associated with your search. You can then view each tag as a 3D cloud (or "planet" in this case) of photos. My second example is Photosynth (start watching the video at about 2 minutes and 45 seconds) which is a new software from Microsoft Live Labs that also feeds from Flickr photos and creates a virtual 3D map of, well, anything that people from all over the world have taken hundreds and hundreds of photos of. It makes me wonder if the new wave of tourism will be virtual, seeing as this 3D representation captures detail even at a greater detail than if you were to be there in person.

Nintendo Wii, Johnny Lee, open source, and Youtube. While the hacking of the Wii remote itself is very cool (for things like creating an interactive whiteboard or 3D display screen), what is equally awe-inspiring is Johnny Lee's open source approach and use of Youtube to build an audience and empower them to recreate the technology hack themselves.

That's all I can think of for now. Please leave comments on which example you'd like to see and discuss in class. Thanks!

3 comments:

Jermy said...

The MUTO video is really sweeet. I've seen it on youtube before. It makes my head hurt thinking about how long that must've taken.

Ravi said...

I'd put my vote in for a short preso on jott.

Christine said...

I have also seen the MUTO video before. It is really cool.